Academic Success Center
Tips & Resources
Notes are an important part of the study process, but to get the most out of them, you need to learn how to take them well. Here are some links to different methods that you can try alone or in combination to find what works best for you.
Sample Note Taking (PDF)
A sample of a note taking page using two-column notes
Tips for Taking Lecture Notes (PDF)
Tips to help you take better notes
10 Ways To Review and Edit Your Notes (PDF)
Tips on how to review and edit notes
The 5 R’s of Note taking (PDF)
A method of taking notes created by Cornell University
Graphic Organization (PDF)
Methods on how to organize Notes effectively
Reading & Writing
- SQ3R Reading Strategy (PDF): Comprehend and retain textbook material by using a series of steps. Watch our video with a step by step guide
- Text to Speech Software: If you are an auditory learner, consider using a text to speech software such as the Kurzweil machine in the library, or something like NaturalReader which can be downloaded on your computer. (Natural Reader is linked here because we know it has a free component, but there are other programs that can be purchased.)
- UIndy’s Writing Lab: For more information about UIndy’s writing lab (located on the 2nd floor of Krannert Memorial Library) and the services they offer.
- How to Recognize Plagiarism: Indiana University website on plagiarism. This site includes definitions and examples of plagiarism, and a quiz to see if you can recognize the various forms of plagiarism.
- OWL: Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab
- Writing Papers (PDF)
The Time Management Quiz will give you an idea of your current time management proficiency.
Basic Time Management Tips (video)
Time Management is an important key to succeeding in college. While there is no “one-size-fits-all” method to ensure that you use your time efficiently, we suggest that you try these tips to help devise a time management system that works for you.
Semester I-On-a-Page (PDF)
The Fall Semester-on-a-Page is a useful tool for plotting out due dates for the semester. Using the syllabus for each class, fill in the due dates for assignments, papers, projects, and exams on the calendar. This one-page calendar will make managing your semester much easier.
Semester II On-a-Page (PDF)
The Spring Semester-on-a-Page is a useful tool for plotting out due dates for the semester. Using the syllabus for each class, fill in the due dates for assignments, papers, projects, and exams on the calendar. This one-page calendar will make managing your semester much easier.
Summer On-a-Page (PDF)
The Summer-on-a-Page calendar is a useful tool for plotting out due dates for summer classes. Using the syllabus for each class, fill in the due dates for assignments, papers, projects, and exams on the calendar. This one-page calendar will make managing your summer much easier.
Weekly Schedule (PDF)
This weekly schedule is used to plot out your weekly routine. Fill in the schedule with class times, practices, meetings, and regular activities.
Tips about Procrastination (PDF)
Helpful tips to understand and overcome procrastination
A Personal Time Use Survey (PDF)
There are only 24 hours in a day, and so much to do! It is recommended that you spend an average of 3 hours outside of class studying, for every hour that you spend in the classroom. Use this worksheet to figure out if you are spending your time wisely and efficiently.
UIndy Time Management Video: Immediate Planning
UIndy Time Management Video: Long-term Planning Semester on a Page
UIndy Time Management Video:Weekly Schedule
Tests are extremely important for most college courses. Use the following strategies to be more effective and successful in both preparing for and taking your exams.
- Finals Prep for Freshman (PDF)
- Preparing for and taking different types of exams (PDF)
- Before, During and After Tests (PDF)
- Learning from Exam Mistakes (PDF)
- How to Cope with Test Anxiety (PDF)
- Conquering Finals (PDF)
Additional Exam Strategies
- DETER Strategy For Test Taking (PDF)
An easy-to-remember method for taking tests.
- 10 Steps Towards Better Test Taking (PDF)
Tips for taking an exam.
- QUOTE Strategy For Test Taking (PDF)
Strategies for answering essay exam questions.
Online Resources to Help Prepare for Exams
100 Things To Do Before You Graduate (PDF)
100 things a student at the University of Indianapolis should do before they graduate.
UIndy Textbook Tutorial Video
Helpful Mobile Apps
Helpful Mobile Apps (PDF) – Mobile phone apps that may be useful for college students.